If your Wireless Rain Gauge Collector, Model #06034M, is reporting inaccurate rainfall readings on your display unit (Models #00899/02446/06042/06047) or My AcuRite account, the Wireless Rain Gauge Collector can be calibrated to improve accuracy by following the directions below.
NOTE: The Wireless Rain Gauge Collector comes pre-calibrated. The steps below are not required for a new sensor.
To calibrate the Wireless Rain Gauge Collector:
Wireless Rain Gauge Collector, the display unit, plastic cup, pin, screwdriver.
- First, make sure the rain collector is on a level surface.
- Place the display unit close by so you can monitor it during the calibration process.
- Make a pinhole in the bottom of a plastic cup. Hold the cup over the rain gauge and fill it with exactly 1 cup (8 oz.) of water, allowing the water to slowly drip into the rain gauge. You should hear the internal buckets tip and see the water drain through the rain gauge.
- A few seconds after each bucket tip, the display console will display rainfall in approximately 0.01" or more increments.
- The cup of water should take more than 20 minutes to empty; a quicker period will result in an inaccurate calibration. (We’re trying to simulate a normal steady rainfall.) When the cup is completely empty of water, the display console should register 1.68"
If the rain gauge doesn't register close to 1.68" after the cup is empty of water, then you should make an equal adjustment to the two calibration screws beneath the tipping lever(pictured below). Be sure to adjust both screws the same amount. Turning screws clockwise will decrease the rainfall amount. Turning screws counter-clockwise will increase it.
- To adjust the rainfall reading by 2.5% turn both screws 1/4 of a turn.
- To adjust the rainfall reading by 5% turn both screws 1/2 of a turn.
- To adjust the rainfall reading by 7.5% turn both screws 3/4 of a turn.
- To adjust the rainfall reading by 10% turn both screws 1 full turn.
- There should be nearly an equal number of water drops between bucket tips. If not, then adjust the calibration screws beneath the tipping lever until an equal number of water drops are tipping the buckets. Then, restart the calibration procedure.
There should be nearly an equal number of water drops between bucket tips. If not, then adjust the calibration screws on the bottom of the sensor until an equal number of water drops are tipping the buckets. Then, restart the calibration procedure.
If you don't hear the buckets tipping or see water dripping alternately out of each drain, there may be an issue with the rain gauge or its adjustment. Please use the link below to access and clean the tipping cups within the sensor and verify they are seated correctly.
Wireless Rain Gauge Collector No Rainfall
Here's a video detailing the Wireless Rain Gauge Collector Calibration Procedure that you may find helpful:
If you have accidentally removed the calibration screws or adjusted them unevenly, the following procedure approximately resets the screws to the Factory Default.
- Tighten the calibration screws fully
- Unscrew them 2 full turns evenly
- Clear today's rain totals
- Rock the sensor back and forth until you hear 10 clicks- you may need to open up the sensor and tip the cups back and forth manually.
- In a minute or so the rain total on the display should be .10 inches (every click/tip should register .01)
- *To increase rainfall-turn screws counter-clockwise
- *To decrease rainfall- turn screws clockwise