5 Features Built into 1 Sensor
Temperature, Humidity, Wind Speed, Wind Direction & Rainfall
Unlike regional weather predictions from sources like the news or online, AcuRite forecasting products rely on sensors that collect organic data right from your backyard. AcuRite's sensor-based weather stations track specific sets of weather-related variables, like changes in temperature, humidity, and barometric pressure to generate a forecast with pinpoint accuracy.
The AcuRite 5-in-1 sensor is designed to be easy to install and use, without compromising any of the professional weather tracking features you want. It operates wirelessly and contains a temperature/humidity sensor, self-emptying rain collector for measuring rainfall, anemometer and a wind vane. The anemometer measures wind speed, and the wind vane measures wind direction. The 5-in-1 sensor is battery powered and features a solar panel for powering an internal aspirating fan. The internal fan will assist in drawing ambient air through to reduce the heating effects of solar radiation, resulting in a more accurate air temperature measurement.
Step-by-Step Installation Directions:
- Remove the battery cover located on the bottom of the sensor.
- Locate the A-B-C switch inside the battery compartment. Set the A-B-C switch to A, B or C. Be sure to choose the same channel that the A-B-C switch on the display is set to.
- Insert 4 AA batteries into the sensor, following the polarity (+/-) diagram in the battery compartment. DO NOT use heavy duty or rechargeable batteries. View battery guidelines below. Close the battery compartment cover.
- Fasten the mounting base to a post or pole using the 4 longer screws included in the hardware bag.
- Insert the mounting base into the hole on the bottom of the sensor. Make sure the arrows on the top of the sensor are pointed in the proper direction and the bubble level is centered.
- Fasten the sensor into the mounting base using the 2 shorter screws included in the hardware bag.
- Remove and discard the Rain Gauge Stabilizer taped to the bottom of the unit.
**FOR ACCURACY: Clear data collected during the installation process. During the process of installation, internal sensors may be triggered resulting in erroneous rainfall measurements. When the installation is complete, you should clear erroneous data from the display console's memory. Please see your product's user manual for instructions on clearing the memory. Your 5-in-1 Sensor is now ready to use!
After installing batteries into the 5-in-1 sensor, you must choose a location to install the sensor. Choose an open location with no obstructions above or around the sensor for accurate rain and wind measurement. To ensure that your Professional Weather Center performs at its best, follow these guidelines:
INSTALL AWAY FROM HEAT & HUMIDITY SOURCES
DO NOT Place the sensor near localized heat sources like heaters, air conditioners, chimneys and exhaust vents. Install the sensor away from asphalt or concrete as these surfaces radiate heat from the sun. Also avoid installing the sensor near pools, spas, or other bodies of water as these water sources may affect the accuracy of the humidity.
INSTALL AWAY FROM SPRINKLER HEADS
DO NOT install the sensor where it will be directly sprayed by a sprinkler system, this will affect the rainfall measurement accuracy and may force water into the housing.
WIND & RAIN OBSTRUCTIONS
DO NOT mount the sensor with obstructions above it, as this will ensure proper rainfall measurement. Also consider a mounting location that has very little structures around the sensor, to ensure proper wind speed and direction measurements.
5 FT INSTALLATION HEIGHT
DO mount the sensor at least 5 feet off the ground (higher is better for accurate wind measurements) in an open area NO FURTHER than 330 feet (100 meters) from the display console. A typical installation would involve mounting the bracket to a secured length of 2 x 4 or 4 x 4 wood (not included).
DO install the sensor as level as possible to ensure accurate rain and wind measurements. Use the bubble level on the top to ensure a level installation.
SOLAR CELL ORIENTATION
DO install the sensor onto the mounting bracket with the solar cell facing SOUTH. This is important to ensure that the cell receives as much sun as possible, and also orients the wind direction properly. Install the sensor with the solar cell facing south to properly orient the wind direction vane.
- Use lithium batteries in the sensor when temperatures can reach below -4ºF (-20ºC). When inserting batteries, follow the polarity (+/-) diagram in the battery compartment. Only batteries of the same or equivalent type as recommended are to be used. It may take up to 20 minutes for the main unit to re-synchronize with the sensor when batteries are replaced.
- DO NOT mix old and new batteries or types of batteries (alkaline/standard). DO NOT use rechargeable batteries. DO NOT use heavy duty batteries (gold, max, super, ultra, etc.). DO NOT short-circuit the supply terminals.
- NOTE: The sensor features an integrated solar cell for collecting sunlight and converting it into usable power, however, this feature is intended to EXTEND the life of the batteries you install. The sensor REQUIRES batteries to operate, and will not function on solar power alone. BATTERIES MUST BE INSTALLED FOR THE SENSOR TO OPERATE.
5-in-1 Sensor Maintenance
HOW TO CLEAN THE SENSOR HOUSING
Clean the housing of the sensor with a damp cloth. DO NOT use abrasive cleaners or materials that will mar the polished surfaces of the rain collection funnel or the solar panel - this could result in decreased performance and reliability of the sensor.
HOW TO CLEAN THE RAIN COLLECTOR CUP
Occasionally remove the rain collector screen cup and empty it. This will filter out seeds and small sticks, etc. (the rain collector screen cup is located within the rain funnel. Remove from the top gently by squeezing and pulling out).
SNOW & FREEZING WEATHER
The 5-in-1 sensor is designed to remain outdoors all year long and will not be damaged by freezing conditions. NOTE: If the rain collector cup fills with snow and then melts, it will register as rain on the unit.
HOW TO CLEAN THE WIND VANE & ANEMOMETER
Remove any foreign matter on the outside of the housing to allow for free movement of wind vane and anemometer. If needed, you can use a small amount of spray lubricant, clear silicone or graphite powder on the anemometer for improved movement.
Clean the battery contacts located under the battery door on the bottom of the sensor. Remove batteries from equipment which is not to be used for an extended period of time. Follow the polarity (+/-) diagram in the battery compartment. Promptly remove dead batteries from the device. Dispose of used batteries properly. Only batteries of the same or equivalent type as recommended are to be used. DO NOT mix old and new batteries or types of batteries (alkaline/standard). DO NOT use rechargeable batteries. DO NOT recharge non-rechargeable batteries. DO NOT short-circuit the supply terminals. Use lithium batteries in the sensor when the temperature is below -4ºF (-20ºC).
In most cases, insects will not pose a problem to the sensor. However, in some instances, insects may cause repeated obstructions to weather measurement by nesting in or contaminating the sensor. In these cases, it may help to spray the housing with insect repellent to limit the problem.