Now my 5 in 1 station is sending correct information to Weather Underground but the readings on My Acurite page are incorrect. Right now it is showing data for 11 P.M. when is is actually 6:A.M.
The yellow stripe on the left of the page shows the signal strength as weak even though the sensor is only 20 feet away from the bridge.
I have reset the Bridge several times. I have gone to the Acu-link page and removed the Bridge and reinstalled it. I then installed the 5 in 1 Weather station.
I REALLY wish there was a way to tell what the hub is doing without using network sniffers. I'm not good at Wireshark and the innards of TCP/IP. I suspect the hub is sending data to Acurite. But it's not getting processed there and forwarded to WU. But I just can't tell what's going on. A page on the hub with some diagnostic info would be nice... That's what I want for Christmas.
Thanks for that info. I read earlier today that the new smart hubs send directly to WU. But it sounded like the older upgraded hubs maybe didn't. For example the hubs page is still the old red and white one with no info on WU. So I'm not sure if my hub is sending directly or not. That's where an improved diagnostics page in the hub could help. It's just pretty unclear to me where the issue is. The signal from the 5-in-one is usually a 1 or 2. It's close to the distance limit. The wife doesn't really consider the smart hub to be great holiday decor haha (she's not wrong). So I'm a little limited on placement but I may do a test just to see if placement can help.
But I'm seeing contradictions in the data that is sent. The Acurite app will say the correct temp but looking at the graph, its newest data there is 8 hours old and the last data point is not the right temp. And the data does have points every 15 minutes or so. Not sure if the hub buffers stuff up sometimes and sends it later...
So that's why I'd really like to know what my updated hub is sending and to whom.
But no stress for this weekend. More important stuff to do.
I believe that you are correct when you said that Acurite had a problem with some servers and they delayed info. I think that is what is happening now. I find it ironic that the data trasmitted to WU is accurate but the data posted in MyAcurite is off by several hours.
I am finished with MyAcurite. I have removed it from my bookmarks and also deleted the app from my phone. It is totally unreliable and unpredictable. I will use the information I am sending to Weather Underground.
For Acurite to attribute this problem " to the high volume of traffic on the site with the holiday rush" is not acceptable. This means that all of their current customers need to wait for their service to resume. That is simply unacceptable. As I said in an earlier post this issue and the reasons for it will and already has had an definite influence on future weather station purchases.