I recently had a 5-in-1 sensor failure and had to replace it with a new one. To get my present display to sync with my new sensor, I was instructed to change my display's A-B-C switch to something new (I was on A and now I'm on B), and place the new sensor's switch to match the new setting of the display. Then do a power reset. That got my new sensor and old display talking to each other.
However, I also have a stand-alone Acurite Smart Hub (Model 09150m) for uploading my data to Weather Universe. There's a reset button on the bottom of the Smart Hub with instructions to hold it down for 4 seconds when the Network Status light is on steadily. I've done that several times now and WU keeps saying that my station isn't reporting. I've also disconnected its power and USB cables for a minute for a power reboot with no change. What am I doing wrong?
I've been trying to get this issue fixed for over two weeks now with no response from Acurite and only one from some guy in a silly hat who asked me a question and didn't respond back after I answered it. I guess I've been put into IGNORE status.
I was patient and understanding when Acurite tried to resurface after its disasterous "migration" last year but now it's clear to me why Accurite customers are turning to other weather system providers.
I'm very disappointed with Acurite!
MyAcuRite is the on-line "cloud" service that communicates with your smartHub.
Establish your account there, link your smartHUB and sensors to that account. Then, in the section on "Sharing", enter your WU credentials and enable sharing.
If you do that correctly, MyAcuRite will send your WU credentials down into your smartHUB, and soon it will be sending data to your WU page.
Report back here if you need help. This is a great user community.
My dashboard only shows one sensor and no additional ones available. I know my new sensor is working because my display is receiving it (now that the old display has been rebooted to receive the new sensor). Do I need to reboot my SmartHub and if so, how do I do that? I tried the simple "hold button for 4 seconds" as printed on the bottom of the SmartHUB with no change.
THANKS for your help!
Both the new and old sensors are/were Acurite 5-in-1 types and the dashboard doesn't differentiate whether the new or old one is being read. (I've deactivated the old one by removing its batteries. and activated the new one by powerbooting it with the old display, nothing else other than pushing the hub's button for 4 seconds.)Note that the dashboard doesn't include sensor serial numbers so who knows what it thinks is installed!
As Ledrak mentioned, MyAcuRite does know the difference between multiple 5n1 sensors. You need to make sure that it is the new one that it sees.
If the old one is there, dead, not reporting, delete it.
If your new one should be available and is not, bring it physically close to the hub for a while, and check for availability while it is there.
If your new sensor is displaying properly on the dashboard, and all your sharing settings are correct, and you are still not sending to WU, you may need to delete and re-enter your WU credentials. I have no idea why, but this has been successfully recommended to others.
Also, if you are not familiar with how to view your smartHUB's internal web page, you should learn how, as good diagnostic info is presented there. Access your router's internal page. Find the IP address assigned to your hub. Enter that IP address into your browser, voila!...data.
One last thing. While beta testing Atlas, I fell into a rat-hole of sorts. I needed to replace one unit with a second unit. The test version of MyAcuRite I was on absolutely did not like having two sensors of the same type with the same name. Locked up real good. Let me know if you suffer that problem.
Delete your sensor from MyAcuRite.
Give MyAcuRite a few minutes to respond and then your sensor should now show as "available". If you re-add it, it should certainly be the right one now (unless you are picking up a neighbor!)
You'll have to re-do sharing afterwards.
Did all of the above and my station's WU page is still saying "This PWS is not reporting." Last updated 18 days ago.) My dashboard (mostly) agrees with my local (desktop) display and I DID eliminate all sensors and then readded and reshared my new sensor with WU with no change.