2032 5 in 1 with pro dual solar upgrade is now stuck at 99 percent humidity.

  • 1
  • Problem
  • Updated 1 week ago
Like title says, it's now stuck at 99 percent humidity, everything else seems to be tracking with other stations in my area. I don't think it is the newer sensor with the removable temp/humidity module and I doubt resetting it will make any difference as it's been this way a while and is definitely past the year warranty. Is there anything you can do at this point or am I eventually going to have to replace the 5 in 1 or try replacing the chip myself as I'm perfectly capable of removing and resoldering a new chip in if available.
Thanks.
Photo of Terry

Terry

  • 19 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes

Posted 3 weeks ago

  • 1
Photo of George D. Nincehelser

George D. Nincehelser

  • 6513 Posts
  • 1209 Reply Likes
This isn't supported by Acurite, but you can buy the temp/humidity module, cut off the modular connector, and solder the 4 wires directly to the the main board.  It's a lot easier than trying to solder the surface-mount chip itself.  (It's a Sensirion SHT21 chip)

This assumes you have a 5n1 manufactured after the spring of 2012.  Earlier models of the 5n1 use different chips.
Photo of Terry

Terry

  • 19 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
Well I know I got it later then 12 pretty sure and it should be on here as regged to me when I got it so I'll have to check but if it's new enough either way that upgrade will supply the chip needed cheap enough whether I do it the hard way or the easy way, thanks.
Photo of Terry

Terry

  • 19 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
Ordered one, definitely worth a gamble for 15 shipped, thanks.
Photo of Terry

Terry

  • 19 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
Part showed up today, tore it down, board looks slightly different but it is the same chip. I desoldered the old 4 wire flat cable, lined the new board and cable up with the old one and soldered the wires in the old spot after snipping the plug, works like new again so worth the gamble and thanks for the heads up.
I probably could have saved a bunch of time by just surface mounting the new wires to the pads rather then completely desoldering everything and putting the new wires through the old holes.